Hot Springs Broadwater Athletic Club and Hot Springs
Hot Springs in Southwest Montana:
Broadwater Athletic Club and Hot Springs
The gold discovery in Last Chance Gulch in 1864 brought a rush of prospectors to the Helena valley. One of these was Ferdinand Wassweiler a German immigrant who arrived in Helena in 1865. By 1866 Wassweiler had constructed a site at the hot springs near the current Broadwater Athletic Club and Hot Springs. Wassweiler welcomed guests until 1874 when he sold a portion of his water rights to Charles Broadwater. Broadwater invested $500,000 to build one of the largest hotels and hot springs in the area. Opened in 1889 on 40 acres of beautifully manicured grounds the Broadwater Hotel and Natatorium became a center of elegance and refinement. In 1895 the Broadwater Hotel closed its doors due to financial hardship but was partially reopened in the 1930's until Prohibition and the threat of upcoming war permanently shut it down. The natatorium operated until 1935, when a severe earthquake irreparably damaged the building and was demolished in 1946.
Today visitors to the Broadwater Athletic Club and Hot Springs can enjoy racquetball, handball, wallyball and basketball; three Hot Springs pools, the Adventure Zone, childcare, full locker room facilities and full fitness facilities including cardio and strength equipment, Group Fitness Classes, Teen Fitness Program, tanning and The Rock indoor climbing wall. Don't miss the wild and wonderful Centennial Waterslide.