On a gentle slope surrounded by 10 acres of spacious lawns and other state buildings, Montana's Capitol looks north over the beautiful Prickly Pear Valley. The building is constructed of sandstone and granite. A statue depicting Liberty sits atop the copper dome. A walk through the Capitol will allow you to view many beautiful paintings, including Charles M. Russell's magnificent historical depiction of Lewis and Clark meeting the Indians at Ross' Hole on September 5, 1805. The main section of the Capitol was completed in 1902. The two wings were completed in 1912.
Services in the Capitol: Restrooms are located on the first floor to the left of the grand staircase. Snack bar is located in the basement of the Capitol. Gift shop and museum are located directly across the street to the east of the Capitol in the Montana Historical Society. A post office is available for public use on the 1st floor of the Capitol building.
Self guided tours daily 9:00am - 3:00pm. Group tours by reservation only. Brochures of the building available.