In 1868, John Vipond discovered gold in the area. Although possessing relative rich ore, the remoteness and elevation conspired to prevent much development in the Quartz Hill area. Prospectors developed a number of mines including the Lone Pine, the Queen of the Hills, and the Faithful, and in the 1870s even constructed a 10 stamp mill, but the area never produced as expected, and eventually died out.
The Vipond Park/Quartz Hill mining district covers the area west of the ghost town of Glendale. A few derelict houses, parts of foundations and hearths, and the remnants of mine shafts are all that remain of the once thriving mining settlements around Vipond Park. Vipond Park itself - a large grassy meadow - is well known for its displays of spring wildflowers.