The town of Jackson and the hot springs were named for the town's first postmaster, Antone Jackson. However, members of the Lewis and Clark Expedition first saw the thermal waters in 1806 when a portion of the Expedition passed close by on the return route from the Pacific Ocean. It was here that Clark directed Sergeant Pryor and Private Shields to cook small pieces of meat in the hot, sulfur-tinged waters.
Jackson Hot Springs Lodge is near the Big Hole Battlefield, Bannack State Park, and great hunting and fishing. The facility includes a full service restaurant, and a large western style bar and dance hall, all centered around our spectacular natural hot springs mineral pool. Guest rooms include cozy cabins, many with their own fireplaces.
Jackson lies on the valley floor near the head waters of the Big Hole River. The valley is considered by many to be the finest outdoor recreation area in the state. The town is surrounded by several mountain ranges with numerous streams and high mountain lakes. The fishing, hunting hiking, skiing, and snowmobiling are exceptional!