Snowmobiling is a thrill and a great way to see the backcountry in winter, and just about every town in the region has trail access nearby. There are literally thousands of miles of groomed snowmobile trails through Southwest Montana and many more acres in national forests are accessible as well.
Deer Lodge Area
Trailhead is eight miles southeast of Deer Lodge. A total of 91.5 miles of marked trail, 59 miles of which are groomed. Trails lead to the Continental Divide, Champion Pass, Leadville and White House Campground at elevations from 5,300 feet at the trailhead to 8,000 feet.
- Pintler Ranger District, Beaverhead-Deerlodge National Forests, 266 Warren Lane, Deer Lodge, MT 59722, (406) 846-1770
- Deer Lodge Snowmobile Club, Box 44, Deer Lodge MT 59722
200 miles of groomed trails, highlights include Coolidge and Elkhorn mines and Reservoir Lake. Major groomed trails heading west and north interconnect with Wisdom/Jackson and Wise River trail systems. Southerly trail links up with Salmon, Idaho snowmobile club trails.
- Dillon Ranger District, Beaverhead-Deerlodge National Forests, 420 Barrett Street, Dillon, MT 59725, (406) 683-3900
- Beaverhead Sno-Riders, Box 867, Dillon, MT 59725, (406) 683-2205
Georgetown Lake Area
Three major trail systems totaling 140 miles offer opportunities for family snowmobile touring, with a snow shelter for cookouts and picnics, to more challenging riding through deep snowpack.
- Pintler Ranger District, Beaverhead-Deerlodge National Forests, 88 10-A Business Loop, Philipsburg, MT 59858, (406) 859-3211
- Anaconda Snowmobile Club, 55 Fire Lane, Anaconda, MT 59711
There are 175 miles of groomed snowmobile trails in three major trail systems within 30 minutes of Helena. The Marysville area offers 45 trail miles, the Minnehaha-Rimini area has 120 miles, and the Magpie-Sunshine area has 45 miles of snowmobile trails.
- Helena Ranger District, Helena National Forest, 2001 Poplar, Helena, MT 59601, (406) 449-5490
- Helena Snowdrifters, PO Box 5505, Helena, MT 59604, (406)458-6538 or (406) 443-0108
- Helena Chamber of Commerce, 225 Cruse Ave., Helena, MT 59601, (406) 442-4120
The Lincoln area is a popular snowmobiling area with 250 miles of scenic tours offering plenty of variety for all skill levels. From tree-lined routes, to scenic lake tours, to advanced rides with spectacular views, and plenty of play areas along the way.
- Lincoln Ranger District, Helena National Forest, Box 785 Lincoln, MT 59639, (406) 369-4140
- Ponderosa Snow Warriors, Box 955, Lincoln, MT 59639, (406) 362-4605 or (406) 362-4536
- Lincoln Chamber of Commerce, PO Box 985, Lincoln, MT 59639, (406) 362-4949
Virginia City Area
Three snowmobile trail systems in the Gravelly Range provide challenging opportunities for experienced riders, and also easier rides with access to resorts. Highlights of the 130 miles of snowmobile trails include Alder Gulch, Summit City, Antelope Basin, Tobacco Root Range and high mountain lakes.
- Madison Ranger District, Beaverhead-Deerlodge National Forests, 5 Forest Service Rd., Ennis, MT 59729, (406) 682-4253
- Vigilante Snowmobilers, Box 145, Virginia City, MT 59755, (406) 843-5484 or (406) 682-5250
Wisdom / Jackson Area
150 miles of groomed trails link up with other snowmobile trail systems including the Wise River-Polaris Trail, Steel Creek trails, Wise River trails, Salmon, Idaho club trails, and over the Continental Divide into the Bitterroot Valley.
- Wisdom Ranger District, Beaverhead-Deerlodge National Forests, Box 238, Wisdom, MT 59761 (406) 689-3243
- Big Hole Snowmobile Club, Box 141, Wisdom, MT 59761, (406) 689-3108
Wise River Area
Area highlights include Pattengails Falls, Long Tom Cabin, backcountry lakes, high plateaus and plenty of open meadow play areas. 150 miles of groomed trails at elevations from 5,500 feet to 8,000 feet.