Cross country (or Nordic) skiing is a sport that allows you to take a deep breath and soak in the beauty of the land around you. While you are going at a different pace than its downhill counterpart, you won't miss the inspiring feeling of being so small amidst giant mountains. Montana is known for incredible natural snow conditions and we capitalize on this by exploring the hundreds of miles of groomed and ungroomed Nordic ski trails sitting right outside our doors. You never know what you will find as you traverse Southwest Montana's woods - explore historic logging camps, book a charming cabin, soak in a natural hot spring, and relax as you enjoy Big Sky Country.
MacDonald Pass Trail
Located 14 miles west of Helena on Highway 12, MacDonald Pass Trail offers over 27 kilometers (16 miles) of ski trails in four connected loops.More Information
Stemple Pass Ski Trail
Stemple Pass Ski Area is located 37 miles north of Helena and offers 32 km (19 miles) of ungroomed ski trails in four connected loops for beginner to intermediate cross-country skiing.More information
Mount Haggin Nordic Ski Area
The Mount Haggin Nordic Ski Area trail system, located just 11 miles south of Highway 1 near Anaconda on Mill Creek Highway (MT 569), has over 25 kilometers (15.5 miles) of groomed trails reaching to the Continental Divide.More information
Homestake Lodge Cross Country Ski Center
Homestake Lodge Cross Country Ski Center is located beneath the Continental Divide just three miles from Interstate-90 and 15 minutes east of Butte, MT and has 35 kilometers (22 miles) of fully groomed trails.More information
Lodging Opportunities with Nearby Cross-country Skiing
- Bennett House Country Inn: Cross-country ski trails nearby. Virginia City.
- Cummings Cabin: U.S. Forest Service cabin. Area trails. Near Lincoln.
- Hogan Cabin: U.S. Forest Service cabin. Ski to cabin, area trails. Near Wisdom.
- Homestake Lodge: 35 km of groomed trails. Full service ski shop. Near Butte.
- Kading Cabin: U.S. Forest Service cabin. Ski to cabin, area trails. Near Helena.
- Lakeview Lodge: Cross-country ski trail accessible from yard. Near Georgetown Lake.
- Nez Perce Motel: Cross-country ski trails nearby. Wisdom.
- Wade Lake Resort: Cross-country ski trails nearby. Near Cameron.
Wisdom Area Cross-country Ski Trails
- Anderrick Ski Trail: 3.2 km easiest trails. No grooming. Connection trail to form loop.
- Anderson Mountain Ski Trail: 12.8 km more difficult trails.
- Big Hole/Bitterroot Road Snowmobile Trail: 12.8 km. Intermittently groomed.
- Cabinet Creek Ski Trail: 9.6 km more difficult trails. No grooming.
- Chief Joseph Ski Trail: 8 km easiest, 14.5 km more difficult, 2.1 km most difficult trails. Groomed weekly.
- Gibbons Pass Road Ski Trail: 3.2 km easiest, 4.3 km more difficult trails. No grooming.
- May Creek Ski Trail: 9.6 km more difficult trails. No grooming.
- Richardson Creek Ski Trail: 6.1 km more difficult trails. No grooming.
- Shoofly Ski Trail: 7.2 km. No grooming.
- Scooter Creek Ski Trail: 4.8 km more difficult trails. No grooming.
Philipsburg / Georgetown Lake Area Cross-country Ski Trails
- Cable Campground Ski Trail: 5.2 kilometers of more difficult trails. No grooming.
- Discovery Basin Ski Trails: 5.2km easier, 3.1 km more difficult, 9.6 km most difficult. No grooming.
- Jack Pine Ski Trail #302: 5.63 kilometers. Access via Echo Lake Ski Trail.
- Lodgepole Ridge Ski Trails: 7.7 km of more difficult, 1.1 km most difficult trails. No grooming.
- Powerline Ski Trail #305: .64 km. Access via Echo Lake Ski Trail.
- Download the Georgetown Lake Cross Country Ski Trails Brochure: A Beaverhead-Deerlodge National Forest publication.
Dillon Area Cross-country Ski Trails
- Birch Creek Ski Trail: 5 km more difficult trails. No grooming.
- Elkhorn Hot Springs Ski Trail: 23.3 km most difficult trails. Intermittently groomed.