Under the Big Sky you’ll discover some of the most beautiful scenery on earth to explore. Southwest Montana has high mountain peaks, low meadows, caverns, rivers, lakes and incredible parks to play in. Southwest Montana State Parks offer something for everyone. The diverse recreational and educational opportunities make Southwest Montana a great place to visit.
Three great reasons to visit our state parks:
- Events: Southwest Montana State Parks host many events from cultural and community events to speakers and festivals. Some of the most popular events include the Cardboard Cup Regatta, Caverns Candlelight Tours and the Bannack Ghost Walk.
- Education: Professional Parks interpretive staff provide workshops, day-long classes and excellent guide service for your State Park visit.
- Group Fun: From family reunions to motorcoach tours, Southwest Montana State Parks can host a wide variety of group activities. Reservable covered shelters are available at many locations. Groups of over 30 people require a special permit and can be obtained by contacting the park directly. Motorcoach tours require a special permit from the Parks headquarters in Helena.
Park Fee Information
Montana residents in a vehicle with valid Montana license plates are allowed to enter State Parks for free. Camping, tour, special event and other fees still apply.
Nonresident visitors are required to pay day-use fees usually from $2 to $5. Nonresidents can also purchase annual Montana State Parks Passports for unlimited use. Passports are $25 for the first vehicle and $20 for additional vehicles. They can be purchased at any state park, regional Fish, Wildlife and Parks office or online at Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks.
Leave No Trace
Southwest Montana State Parks is proud to be a partner in the Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics. Please practice these principles when recreating in our great outdoors.
- Plan ahead and prepare
- Travel and camp on durable surfaces
- Dispose of waste properly
- Leave what you find
- Minimize campfire impacts
- Respect wildlife
- Be considerate of other visitors
State Parks of Southwest Montana
Anaconda Smoke Stack State ParkAnaconda, MTMore Info
Bannack State ParkBannack, MTMore Info
Beaverhead Rock State ParkTwin Bridges, MTMore Info
Black Sandy State ParkHelena, MTMore Info
Clark's Lookout State ParkDillon, MTMore Info
Elkhorn State ParkBoulder, MTMore Info
Granite Ghost Town State ParkPhilipsburg, MTMore Info
Lewis & Clark Caverns Trail SystemWhitehall, MTMore Info
Lost Creek State ParkAnaconda, MTMore Info
Spring Meadow Lake State ParkHelena, MTMore Info